The Mercury News/East Bay Times is looking for a news artist or web designer who can present and elevate our stories to our million+ readers online. Candidates will need to layout visually striking web pages that skillfully incorporate the award-winning work from our reporters, photographers, artists and other newsroom talents. Candidates will also need to design/coordinate the production of our award-winning premium print magazines, published 5 times a year. You will set the visual tone and collaborate with illustrators, photographers, and writers to bring your vision to life. Candidates are also expected to create their own visuals such as illustrations, maps, charts, and diagrams that can run either in print or online. The ability to incorporate interactivity or animation in those visuals is a plus.
- Design magazine-style web pages for special news stories
- Design high-end magazine page layouts under tight deadlines
- Coordinate web and print production for special projects
- Create information graphics such as maps, charts, diagrams etc. for online and print
- Be a team player who loves to try and experiment on new technologies.
- Understanding of Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator
- Knowledge of Webflow, R, Django, Leaflet or QGis is a plus
- Understanding of print production
- Great eye for typography, photography, color
- Previous experience working in a newsroom environment
- Work effectively on a team that is not in the same office
- Organized, collaborative and flexible
Please submit your resume, cover, and portfolio to Sarah Dussault at [email protected] and include "web designer" in the subject line by Feb 20, 2020