The Seattle Times, one of the few remaining independent news organizations in the country and winner of 10 Pulitzer Prizes, is looking for a Free Press Visual Storyteller. As an energetic, passionate Graphic Artist, Designer, or Illustrator, you would assist The Seattle Times publisher and Opinion editor in creating a “Save the Free Press” voice. This unique voice is part of an initiative to fuel a Save the Free Press Movement in Washington state and nationally. As part of this team, you will create compelling data visuals for Opinion and other pages as it relates to the Free Press Initiative. You should have a demonstrated ability to conceptualize ideas to make pieces appealing visual storytelling toward making significant social impact and informing public policy. You should be able to produce innovative data graphics that can convey the key points in an argument or story. Secondarily, you will produce visual data and data storytelling for the times’ three public service community funded labs – Education, Traffic and Project Homeless.
You will report to the Publisher and Opinion editor, with dotted line to Sr. VP of Public Service.
The Times visual storytelling experience is highlighted by the successful visual data storytelling campaign to stop the defunding of higher education.
- Produce print and digital graphics including interactive projects.
- Produce effective graphics for daily use within the established style guidelines for various coverage areas on multiple platforms.
- Emphasize appropriateness of style, execution, clarity of visual storytelling, impact, concept, accuracy and a commitment to proofreading and editing all design work.
- Take a multi-platform approach to design and storytelling and participate in the associated prototyping, storyboarding and planning endeavors.
- Create compelling visuals for various public-service initiatives.
- Serve as a member of the Opinion board to offer constructive input on all matters pertaining to the free press and all media and journalism topics.
- Experience: Must have at least two years’ experience developing and producing at a daily news organization (or equivalent experience).
- Education: Four-year degree (or combined equivalent work experience in a related role)
- Possess solid research and visual design skills.
- Experience with data journalism and associated tools, such as Excel, SQL, R and Python is desirable.
- Knowledge of graphics and illustration tools such as Adobe Suite (Creative Cloud or older CS versions).
- Established illustration styles
- Ability to capture concepts in surprising and delightful ways
- Ability to work in high pressure, fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Experience/ familiarity with pagination systems and WordPress preferred
- Strong communications skills, whether coaching, enlisting support, building teams or negotiating among multiple stakeholders
- Respect for a plurality of perspectives, identities and experiences in the Northwest.
- Committed to ensure that diverse communities see themselves and their concerns represented in our work.
To be considered, please apply at https://tinyurl.com/t8f7ndf