C&EN (Chemical & Engineering News) produces authoritative, award-winning journalism from around the world of chemistry, including research, education, industry, funding, and regulatory policy. It is published by the American Chemical Society (ACS), the world’s largest scientific society dedicated to a single discipline, and is widely considered one of the major benefits of membership. C&EN’s weekly magazine reaches more than 155,000 members of ACS in 150 countries, and its website receives more than 13 million page views per year.
We are looking for a talented designer and UX leader to elevate our journalism through thoughtful product and experience design.
What you’ll do:
- Lead design for all C&EN digital products including website, mobile app, and digital edition.
- Collaborate with writers and editors to create new storytelling experiences that work within our existing style.
- Identify opportunities to improve users’ experience with our products and take initiative to recommend solutions.
- Contribute to and inform UX-research plans, methodologies, and test strategies.
- Use your rapid prototyping skills to create mockups and prototypes for experimentation and user testing.
- Manage a team of two UX designers.
- Work with C&EN’s Creative Director to guide digital design strategy, helping us evolve and expand our design system.
What you’ll bring:
- 7+ years of experience designing digital products, including websites and mobile apps.
- A portfolio demonstrating your ability to design and launch successful mobile and web products.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including and the ability to describe your ideas, brainstorm with a group, and draw out feedback from colleagues
- Experience managing or leading a team is a plus.
- Experience specific to media or publishing is a plus.
About working at C&EN:
ACS believes in the strength of diversity in all its forms, because inclusion of and respect for diverse people, experiences, and ideas lead to superior solutions to world challenges and advance chemistry as a global, multidisciplinary science. In turn, C&EN believes that to meet its mission to be the world’s go-to source of news about chemistry, our reporting and our newsroom must include diverse perspectives. Therefore, we strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically marginalized communities in the chemical sciences to apply.
How to apply:
Please include a link to your portfolio in your résumé. Tell us in a cover letter what you can bring to this position.
Job Location: Preference for Washington, DC. Relocation assistance available.