We're the Philadelphia Media Network (PMN), the company behind the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Daily News and Philly.com. Our fast-changing newsroom is committed to telling great stories and deepening our connection with the communities we serve. We’re owned by the non-profit Lenfest Institute for Journalism, and we’re at the very center of the mission to create a lasting future for ambitious local journalism.
In collaboration with the Innovation Editor, this position will help lead a small, multi-disciplinary team of journalists and developers dedicated to storytelling experimentation both on and off-platform. If we're all doing our job right the team will captivate readers and inspire the newsroom by telling great stories and showcasing the power of creative web development and thoughtful digital storytelling.
About the team:
The Innovation Desk will tell its own stories, top to bottom, as well as works with other desks in the newsroom to shape coverage. You'll work with the Innovation Editor to lead and mentor our news developers and journalists. We're looking for a senior developer who excels first and foremost at web development, but also an individual who is a strong communicator and is passionate about journalism and storytelling: from the text to interactives, to visuals, to whatever is coming up on the horizon.
As a full stack developer, we'll look to you to build best-in-class editorial products. You'll collaborate with your colleagues in Engineering and Product, but we'll be looking to you to lead the newsroom development team on best practices around scale, reliability, quality, performance and product agility.
A typical month for the news development team could include building tools and templates to enhance storytelling across the newsroom; working with the investigative team to turn datasets into informative news apps; workshopping with the photo desk to experiment with new visual story forms; developing customized Washington Post Arc CMC templates for special projects— as well as developing the Innovation Desk's own stories.
- Curiosity and vision: You have a passion for technology and can think critically about performance, scalability, and reliability of software.
- Experience working closely with design and product teams throughout the product development life cycle.
- You want to build newsroom tools that help both reporters and readers better understand and explore large data sets on topics such as campaign finance, immigration, education and public health.
- You can demonstrate the ability to learn and apply your skills in creative ways and share those skills with others.
- You approach problems with a combination of coding smarts and journalistic rigor.
- You have a bachelor's degree in computer science, journalism or related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with modern client-side frameworks; React, Vue or Svelte.
- Experience building well-formed, semantic, and accessible markup, including embedded audio and video.
- Understanding of template language to simplify and speed up markup development.
- Familiarity with Node and NPM.
- Ability to create responsive CSS layouts that use floats, flexbox, and the various forms of positioning.
- Must be familiar with programming language like SQL and build web scraping tools.
- Must have knowledge and experience with digital design principles; server- and client-side web development.
- Must have strong collaborative capability and inter-personal communication skills.
We realize that you may not meet every requirement, and you may have skills we haven't even thought of. If you believe you can do the job and are a good match, we encourage you to apply.
Philadelphia Media Network is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.