Producer, Visuals and Creative Services
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Lookout Local’s Visuals Producer builds on the roll-out experience of Lookout, in look, feel and brand promise, for both our readers and marketing partners. The Visuals Producer will collaborate with our editorial, audience and revenue teams to fulfill Lookout’s mission: the creation of a new 2020s local news and information model that is audience-enriching, community-building and revenue-producing. The goal: set a new visuals standard of what a local digital platform can now make possible.
The Visual Producer focuses on two key outcomes:
- Works side-by-side editorial staff, from daily morning meetings to longer-range planning sessions to aid in production of visuals that complete Lookout’s storytelling.
- Collaborates with the revenue team to create Lookout’s first brand studio, providing the vision and creative strategy that dazzles our clients, and establishes early studio production workflows and best practices.
This versatile role requires excellent visualization and graphics skills, purposed to both mobile and desktop. The successful candidate builds on Lookout’s editorial mission and intention to use the tools of the day to do modern, explanatory storytelling. We particularly value a keen understanding of mobile readers and readership and the enthusiasm to meet and exceed those expectations.
We’ll be counting on you to roll up your sleeves to fully advance an entrepreneurial, fast-growth startup environment, embracing the agility and flexibility required to thrive within a new business.
About Lookout Local
Lookout Local is a new network of intensely local, community-centric, digital-only, mobile-first news sites, built for the way citizens and consumers read, act, and interact, in the 2020s. Dedicated to community betterment, Lookout Santa Cruz launches this fall.
We seek colleagues to form our initial, diverse team of 15. We’re looking for those who share our sense of mission, our can-do, entrepreneurial spirit, and our hard-headed realism that smart execution will quickly create a new, much-needed model for local news and community revival. Lookout Local’s for-profit, public benefit corporation is built to last, providing the foundation for multi-site network growth.
What You’ll Be Doing
The Visuals Producer’s focus is to make Lookout sing, and in tune with reader and branded content expectations of a new local news voice that they look to for understanding.
Optimizes User Experience and Leads Development of Additional Storytelling Tools and Templates
- Working closely with editorial, develops a visuals creation and deployment system for Lookout’s mobile, desktop and newsletter products, with active involvement in content strategy and through-the-day and through-the-week content planning.
- Uses one-dimensional, video and animation skills to build compelling visualizations, infographics and photo illustrations.
- Is comfortable digging into thick data sets to distill and display important context-building information in digestible ways.
- Provides creative, visual and multimedia leadership, creating and applying consistent use of a design system to ensure that all Lookout products uphold and promote Lookout’s high-quality brand design standards.
- Deploys a media repository and workflow to support editorial, revenue and marketing teams’ use of assets across the organizations. Proactively recommends editorial workflow improvements, internally and with our third-party content partners.
Creates Lookout’s First Brand Studio, Providing the Vision and Sizzle that Dazzles Our Clients, and Establishes Studio Workflows to Make Us Hum with Efficiency
- Empowers thriving marketing partner relationships, collaborating with revenue and account management teams. Drives creative strategy, asset creation and campaign production for branded content storytelling and custom sponsorships, nailing campaigns that deliver results to expand our marketing revenue. The goal: to have local and regional businesses dropping their ad agencies to line up for our creative services.
- Designs the workflow -- systems, tools and processes -- that will make Lookout’s Brand Studio a nimble machine, one that the full team can intuitively use to effectively manage all clients. The goals: meet and beat client deadlines, demonstrate ROI through top-shelf creative production, create workflows that scale as we grow.
- Supports trafficking of advertising campaigns through Google Ad Manager
The Visuals Producer will also work as part of the larger team, and with our CMS partner, the Los Angeles Times, to help develop Lookout’s product roadmap. That development roadmap includes the consumer-facing website and newsletters experience, the CMS, branded content and sponsorships, promotional systems, and more.
In addition, the Visuals Producer helps research, scope and evaluate new third-party services and technology partners.
- Demonstrated ability to create fast-turn, high-quality visuals
- Strong design sensibility accompanied by experience with news-oriented visuals, including photos, infographics, data visualizations
- Branded content ideation and execution experience are a plus. Demonstrated, customer-focused creative and critical thinking that is solutions-focused
- Ability to flexibly work with Lookout’s outsourced Graphene CMS to optimize internal workflows and external customer experience
- Superior creative, organizational and communication abilities. Skilled interacting with both clients and technology partners
- Fluency with visuals tools
- Content management systems knowledge and digital production tools
Benefits and Application
Visuals Producer is a full-time Lookout Local employee. Salary range is $65,000-$80,000. We offer competitive employee benefits.
Lookout Local is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.