Do you love to design content that is fun, imaginative and full of personality? That's our goal at the Observer Media Group: To deliver unique, hyperlocal content in a way that's relevant, informative and entertaining for our readers. We are constantly striving to surprise and delight readers with fresh stories and ideas, and we are seeking a designer who can use the foundation of our grid-based design to create packages that our audience can't wait to read.
A few years ago, we redesigned all of our papers with a Mondrian-inspired look that allows us to showcase stories and pictures in a grid to create movement and well-proportioned white space on every page. But don't take our word for it — check them out for yourselves here.
Now we are looking for a talented, enthusiastic full-time page designer to join our editorial department to help us execute it in our papers each week. The right candidate sees design as a journalist, not just as an artist. He or she must have a passion for telling stories in a way that marries visual elements with text to create a total package that reflects the intent and tone of the story being told. We are not a design house — we want to bust out of templates, not adhere to them.
The ideal candidate should have a strong understanding of the print and newspaper industry and be knowledgeable in Adobe Creative Suite. Must be a self-starter who can work independently, but also enjoys being part of an energetic team and collaborating with reporters. The candidate should also have strong organizational skills, be able to work quickly and accurately under daily deadline pressure and be able to juggle multiple projects at once, all while injecting creativity into his or her designs.
• Design all components of weekly newspapers, including Page A1, features, opinion and sports pages; designer is also responsible for numerous special sections a year
• Format and scan photos, including color corrections, resizing and touch-ups
• Assist editor in proofing and making corrections to pages
• Make/upload PDFs to the printer as needed; make sure daily deadlines for producing pages are met
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign and Photoshop
• Proficiency with Mac OS X operating systems
• A strong understanding of typography, photography and layout is imperative
• Experience with informational graphics and Illustrator
• Ability to meet deadlines; must work well and maintain composure under pressure
We currently have a position open in our Sarasota, Fla., headquarters. It full-time with pay commensurate with experience. Full benefits are included.
Interested? Email a resume, cover letter and 3-5 clips to Executive Editor Kat Hughes at [email protected]. Please put "Designer" in the subject line. No phone calls, please.