The Advocate is seeking someone who specializes in front pages, editing and features and can make a page stand out.
The ideal candidate is detail-oriented and able to work on multiple pages and editions a night, without breaking a sweat as deadline looms. If you can make front pages stand out by breaking out graphical elements and using typography to illustrate a story, we want you on our team!
Daily newspaper experienced required, as well as experience with InDesign and Photoshop; knowledge of Illustrator is a plus.
Our ideal candidate will make headlines sing; have an excellent grasp of AP style; be versatile in news, features and sports; is a team player; and can manage numerous pages, stories and their time appropriately.
The Advocate, which is locally owned, is the largest daily newspaper in Louisiana, and publishes editions in Baton Rouge, New Orleans and the Lafayette area. The Baton Rouge universal desk has become a mini-design hub for our state operations.
This position is based in Baton Rouge, the crossroads for great sports, entertainment and intriguing politics. We're just an hour away from New Orleans and Lafayette.
Compensation: base pay and benefits package (health, dental, life, disability, vision, 401k with company match, vacation, holidays and sick time).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related field preferred.
- Minimum 2 years copy editing experience at a daily newspaper.
- Considerable knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Considerable knowledge of newspaper page design and pagination.
- Good knowledge of media production and written communication methods.