We're the Philadelphia Media Network (PMN), the company behind the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Daily News and Philly.com. Our fast-changing newsroom is committed to telling great stories and deepening our connection with the communities we serve. We’re owned by the non-profit Lenfest Institute for Journalism, and we’re at the very center of the mission to create a lasting future for ambitious local journalism.
The Philadelphia Inquirer, winner of 20 Pulitzer Prizes and home to an innovative newsroom, is looking for a news designer. If you have solid news judgment, a mastery of typography, and award-winning page design skills, this could be a great opportunity for you. The ideal candidate will be versatile enough to design front pages, metro fronts, sports pages, and special sections, depending on our staffing needs. Beyond that, we are looking for someone to contribute design touches that will make our stories really stand out on our website, Philly.com.
- Collaborates with print coordinators, coverage editors, photographers, producers, and audience team to meet deadlines and ensure the best possible story presentation in print and online
- Excellent skills in the packaging of various types of content for print and online, with a keen sense of the overall aesthetic of pages and full sections
- Ability to take ownership of the design of content across all platforms (print, web, and mobile)
- Experience designing web pages (including knowledge of current best practices for general web design, practical experience using content management systems, and ability to troubleshoot issues with web design)
- Strong informational graphics skills with the ability to produce basic maps, charts, and diagrams, analyze and organize data in Excel, and produce graphic elements for the web
- Expert skills in software used to create informational graphics for print (Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop)
- Strong overall skills in the design and packaging of information graphics and pages ranging from breaking news to features (including expertise in the use of headline hierarchy, organization, balance, white space, labeling, and various types of art to lead the reader logically through editorial content)
- Well versed in the use of typography and color
- Solid news judgment and the ability to craft smart, punchy headlines
- Practical experience shooting and editing digital photography
- Need working knowledge of social media (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram) and be able to promote our journalism on these platforms