We have an exciting opportunity for a Graphics Editor (Interactive) to join our Science Visuals Department. Reporting to the Graphics Managing Editor, the Graphics Editor will work to create data visualizations that clarify complex scientific concepts for the Science Family of Journals and News team.
Are you ready to be a Force for Science?
What You’ll Do
- Research and develop data visualizations, information graphics, and maps
- Create interactive visuals for online
- Analyze complex datasets to find patterns, trends and narratives applicable to visualizations
- Participate in the planning and design of visuals with editors and sources
- Collaborate with Producers to promote our work on the website and social networks
- Additional duties as assigned
- 2+ years of experience building data-driven charts and maps
- 2+ years of experience designing for the web and mobile devices
- Solid working knowledge of statistical data visualization
- Fluent in Adobe CC (Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Fluent in Geographic Information Software such as QGIS or similar
- Working knowledge of HTML, CSS, JS and libraries such as D3, Jquery, react-d3
- Familiarity with other coding languages such as Python or R
- Working knowledge of web and UX design applied to digital graphics and interactives
- Ability to visualize complex ideas in a clear, accurate, and intelligent manner
- Detail-oriented, organized, and a good communicator
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced and demanding work environment with tight deadlines
- Ability to handle several projects simultaneously, including long-term and daily assignments
- Self-starter and ability to work independently
- Good eye and basic design and typographic skills
- Fast learner, eager to acquire new techniques and knowledge
- Solid grounding in basic science education, intellectual curiosity about science, or comfort with scientific ideas is essential
Submit a resume, portfolio, and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by November 2, 2020. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.