About living and working in the Denver region: Located at the base of the Rocky Mountains, the Denver region is one of America’s most beautiful areas. With 300 days of sunshine a year, it is the perfect place to enjoy the outdoors and to take in mountain views. Here you’ll find the nation’s largest city park system, 90 golf courses and an incredible 850 miles of paved bike trails. DRCOG’s office is located in downtown Denver, in a lively area centered around a mile-long pedestrian promenade. Downtown Denver is home to three sports stadiums; 300 restaurants; a restored historic district filled with dining and entertainment options; a collection of museums, galleries and shopping opportunities; the second-largest performing arts complex in the nation; three college campuses; and even an amusement park.
About the Denver Regional Council of Governments: DRCOG is a collaborative association governed by a Board of Directors representing 58 county and municipal governments. Board members work together to make the nine-county Denver region a great place to live, work and play. Through Metro Vision, the local governments' aspirational shared vision for the region’s future, they work cooperatively on topics related to growth and development, transportation and the region's growing population of older adults.
About the graphic designer position: Provides specialized graphic arts assistance and production coordination for print, digital, video and related graphical work. Work may include designing and editing layouts and graphic elements for print, web and video production; meeting with clients to determine needs; reviewing and editing print and digital drafts; assisting users with organizing content for publication; assisting users with review and approval processes; obtaining quotes and monitoring production processes; photographing events; and maintaining related documentation.
Hiring range: The hiring salary range for this position is $4,523-$5,067/month ($2,261.50-$2,533.50/semi-monthly) depending on qualifications.
Description of work:
- This class specification represents only the core areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the needs of the division.
- Designs and edits layouts and graphic elements for print, digital and video production; creates images, layout, color and design; reviews work to ensure adherence with brand and communications standards.
- Meets with clients to review project needs; gathers information and determines best approach for project design and production; collaborates with clients on ideas and concepts; prepares and implements recommended solutions.
- Provides graphic support and develops collateral and communication materials which may include promotional items, reports, brochures, newsletters, charts, posters, eblasts, handouts, videos and presentations; ensures materials accurately reflect desired messaging and quality standards.
- Takes, processes and/or acquires photographs and graphic images for web, print and video use.
- Prepares and updates standards manuals and/or procedures; reviews and edits publications, reports, web designs and videos; maintains documentation related to projects and assignment area.
- Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders on the coordination and implementation of graphic projects and print, digital and video production; obtains vendor bids and recommends vendor selection; prepares, maintains and updates project status reports.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Basic principles, methods and materials of assigned work.
- Practices, concepts and methods of graphic design for print, web and video.
- Business math concepts.
- Basic principles and applications of critical thinking and analysis.
- Uses and properties of supplies and equipment.
- Best practices, trends and emerging technologies.
- Applicable federal, state and local laws, codes, regulations (based on assignment).
- Customer service principles.
- Specialized equipment relevant to area of assignment.
- Modern office technology.
- Designing and editing layout and graphics for print, web and video.
- Performing basic original research, compiling and assembling data.
- Organizing tasks, meeting deadlines and prioritizing competing demands.
- Identifying client needs and making recommendations related to assigned area.
- Providing attention to detail in assignments.
- Proofreading and error correction.
- Business math computations.
- Researching industry trends, solutions and best practices.
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, codes, regulations and standards (based on assignment).
- Providing customer service.
- Utilizing a computer and relevant software applications.
- Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisors, the general public and others to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Education and experience: Associate’s degree in art or graphic design and three to five years of graphic design with print, web and video experience. OR An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements set forth in law or regulation.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Apply here (position closes 5 p.m. Mountain Time, Monday, May 17, 2021).