The Digital Design team at the Star Tribune in Minneapolis seeks a designer/developer to join its group of visual storytellers. This person will work with stakeholders across the newsroom — including editors, reporters, photographers and graphics artists — as well as other designers and developers to build rich story experiences for desktop and mobile audiences.
As part of our small, cross-functional team, you will work to deeply understand the stories you are helping to tell. Our team embraces a clean design aesthetic that is modern and efficient, and you should excel at seeing accessible ways to present information. You will be expected to thrive in a rigorous editing environment, and should place a premium on collaboration and creativity. No challenge should be too big or too small.
The ideal candidate should have a passion for local/regional journalism, as well as the following skills:
- A strong sense of how design influences a user’s ability to understand a story.
- A portfolio that demonstrates user-interfaces designed appropriately for an array of devices/platforms.
- Familiarity with common forms of social media story design and tools.
- An ability to quickly write efficient, standards-based HTML and CSS.
- Experience making quick mockups and prototypes to communicate forming designs to stakeholders.
- An eye for spotting stories and related visual assets that can be turned into immersive stories.
- Comfort using all forms of visual multimedia, including: video, audio, still images, data and illustration.
- Strong time-management skills with the ability to manage parallel projects at once.
- Ability to pitch story ideas using storyboards, prototypes or presentations.
- An ability to manage relationships with editors, reporters and developers. Must be motivated to advocate strongly for the user but be flexible enough to adjust plans as requirements change.
- An adaptive stance on how research and user data can evolve design thinking.
- Interest in or experience with creating motion graphics is also a big plus.
Some top benefits include: a new downtown office with gym access to Steele Fitness in the building and access to rooftop amenities in warm months; commuter benefits; competitive medical and dental insurance; paid time off; 401(k) matching; tuition assistance; and unlimited digital access to Star Tribune. In addition, Star Tribune has partnerships with many organizations that offer our employees a variety of discounts!
The Twin Cities annually rank among the best places to live in the nation. We’re home to thriving arts and cultural institutions, beautiful outdoors attractions, a rising culinary reputation and diverse communities. Six major sports franchises are represented here, and our market ranks near the top for news readership, voter turnout, arts funding, volunteerism and Fortune 500 companies per capita.
Interested candidates should apply here (https://bit.ly/strib-digidesign-gig-2021)