Reporting to the Editor in Chief, the Designer ensures the highest possible design and storytelling standards throughout our products, with a keen eye to ensure details pertaining to accuracy, presentation, photography are met by the Memphis Business Journal on all platforms day in and day out online, and week in and week out in print. The ideal candidate should be well-versed in visual storytelling, with a solid background in publication design and photography. This position is responsible for working with the Lead Designer to drive new and creative forms of storytelling and is expected to contribute to and edify planning discussions at all levels across the newsroom.
The Designer also works on the marketing/advertising design needs of Memphis Business Journal. The Designer will create and design MBJ house ads and other promotional materials. The Lead Designer is responsible for the design support of all departments in the office, including editorial, advertising and marketing across all platforms, including our signature events.
- Work with Lead Designer to design and visually edify printed Weekly Edition
- Execute companywide design format, standards, and style guide for Weekly Edition
- Work with editorial news team to creatively present stories and data in print and digital platforms
- Generate graphics, images, and layout to drive reader engagement for print and online storytelling
- Design special sections and reports
- Contribute story ideas regularly, as well as a constant stream of ideas for stories in the pipeline
- Executes on the style driven by the lead designer on marketing and advertising, including print ads, digital ads, Power Point slideshows, flyers, signage and other collateral, from conception to execution, across all platforms
- Responsible for creating print and digital ads following Memphis Business Journal standards. These ads will be for clients’ and promotional needs.
- Responsible for some production and pre-press duties, including color correction of photos.
- Perform all tasks in a timely manner and check work before presenting it to make sure it is submitted error-free.
- Act as primary contact for printer for special publications and pre-press duties.
- Must be proficient in InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop; HTML/CSS a plus
- Strong visual storyteller who can drive non-narrative story forms and infographics
- Comfortable using third-party software/tools to create graphics and digital interactives
- Has experience editing photos and brainstorming ideas including photography needs
- Strong communicator, able to articulate the design vision to editorial and business staffers alike
- Works cooperatively and collaboratively with all colleagues and professionally with sources and vendors
- Must have excellent time management skills, ability to meet deadlines, and multitask
- Take on any other assignment made by manager(s)
- Minimum of 1 to 3 years of publication design experience in a newsroom as well as 1 to 3 years graphic design experience.
- The ideal candidate will have a diverse background working with editors, designers, photographers and department heads
- Mac OS X and extensive knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, InCopy), Power Point, and HTML/CSS is a plus
- Illustration/visual storytelling ability is a big plus, as are copy editing/writing and informational graphic skills
- Knowledge of the current industry trends, including paper stock and production quality, is a plus.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience preferred
The Memphis Business Journal and its 40+ sister publications are part of American City Business Journals, the No. 1 source for local business news in the nation. MBJ was a 2019 top 10 finalist in the Society for News Design’s World’s Best-Designed Newspaper competition and was awarded an SND Silver Medal that year, as well. MBJ has also garnered recognition by the Society with multiple Awards of Excellence in recent years.
MBJ publishes daily online and weekly in print and delivers multiple daily email products as well as hosts monthly events attended by hundreds of business executives. The Memphis Business Journal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Company considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable city, state or federal law.
Email resume and a link to design samples to NCT Creative Director Laurie Lawrence at [email protected] Only applications with design samples and editorial experience will be considered (please do not send work samples as PDFs or attachments). No phone calls please.