We're looking for a creative, enterprising editor to lead the Data & Graphics Desk. In this role you'll lead a talented group of data and visual journalists while driving innovative storytelling for Pro's most sought after offering: Pro Premium. As Editor of Data & Graphics you'll work to conceive, assign and edit a range of quicker turn news assignments to longer term coverage initiatives.
The Data & Graphics Desk works closely with POLITICO's policy editors and reporters, the visuals desk, interactive news and the strategy and innovation teams. The Data & Graphics Desk also partners in launches of newsroom tools like DataWrapper, and works closely with the Pro Product Team to pitch and conceive new Pro offerings that untangle intricate policies, guide readers through transitions and decode larger political trends for our readers.
In short, we're looking for a life-long learner, someone with a deep interest in policy reporting and a commitment to the tools we need to tell those stories.
What you'll do:
- Work with the team to shape, pitch and edit ideas in key policy areas
- Engage with product and business teams to understand how our premium Pro subscribers are consuming graphics and visual journalism — and adjust the product accordingly
- Work closely with POLITICO editors to find visual storytelling opportunities on existing and new storylines across Politico
- Create and hone workflows
- Keep an organized budget and clearly communicate goals and aspirations of the team
- Work with reporters as they pursue stories and the data to tell them
What you'll need:
- Desire to grow and lead a talented, innovative team
- Demonstrated ability to wrangle data and distill takeaways from your analysis into compelling and informative visuals
- Deep interest in the policies shaping the nation
- Ability to train enterprising reporters on new skills
- Is comfortable editing graphics and words for accuracy and clarity
- Creative vision and collaborative spirit
- The ability to run effective meetings, retrospectives and team members working remotely
- Deep knowledge of Illustrator and the full Adobe Suite
- Familiarity with data reporting and mapping tools such as SQL, Python and QGIS
This role reports to Lily Mihalik, the Managing Editor of Design and Data. Not sure if you're the right fit? Please reach out, we're happy to answer any questions about the position.
We are driven by our values. We are relentless contributors, disruptors, collaborators, and talent cultivators. Our culture is defined by grit, total integrity, and a prioritization on innovation.
We value our people. We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness benefits, commuter benefits, retirement plans, as well as work-life balance flexibility and opportunities for career development.
Want to join POLITICO but don’t see a job suited to you? Sign up to be a part of our Talent Network to be alerted of future opportunities.