City Paper is seeking a kick-ass creative director to build and develop its face to the world. The paper began as a rough black-and-white alt weekly nearly 40 years ago. It has evolved into a sharp and colorful print paper, robust website, two substantial email newsletters, a podcast, and several social media accounts. City Paper is expanding its business lines and relies on the creative director to create fresh, engaging marketing and events materials.
The creative director will be responsible for visually aligning all of these diverse channels and elements into one cohesive brand. We are looking for a multidisciplinary artist with a strong portfolio of work designing across a wide range of platforms.
- Work with both editor and publisher to develop City Paper’s visual identity.
- Design City Paper print covers and lay out the paper using Adobe Creative Suite.
- Collaborate with City Paper’s editors, photographer, and social media managers.
- Create or commission original designs in the following mediums: drawings, illustrations, infographics, icons, logos, animations.
- Manage templates and style sheets.
- Collaborate on redesigning and tweaking newsletters in Mailchimp.
- Create sales collateral in a forward thinking and timely manner.
- Design presentation decks with an eye on brand identity and storytelling.
- Multidisciplinary artist with a portfolio showing ability to design across several platforms: digital, print, social
- Good typography and layout skills
- Experience working in a competitive, deadline-driven, creative environment
- Experience working at a newspaper or magazine
- Desire to build and maintain a strong brand identity
- Experience commissioning original artwork
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
City Paper values being a great place to work. We offer a competitive compensation package and great medical/dental/vision benefits. Additionally, City Paper has PTO, great work-life balance flexibility, and opportunities for career development.
Washington City Paper is committed to hiring and developing a diverse staff that reflects the communities we cover and aim to reach. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage members of historically underrepresented groups—including but certainly not excusive to people of color, people with disabilities, and those who identify as queer—to apply for this position.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected],and include the title of the job you’re applying for in the subject line. In your letter, please include a sentence or two on what you love most about City Paper.