Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief, the Creative Director ensures the highest possible design and story-telling standards are met by Washington Business Journal on all platforms day in and day out online, and week in and week out in print. The ideal candidate should be well-versed in visual storytelling, with a solid background in publication design and photo editing. This position is responsible for driving new and creative forms of editorial storytelling and is expected to contribute to, and edify, planning discussions at all levels across all departments. This is a management position with direct reports.
- Execute companywide design format, standards and style guide for printed Weekly Edition
- Work with editorial news team to creatively present stories and data
- Generate editorial graphics, images and layout to drive reader engagement
- Design editorial special sections and reports
- Direct one editorial designer and one advertising designer
- Oversee marketing and advertising campaigns, including print ads, digital ads, Power Point presentations, flyers, email newsletters and other collateral materials
- Oversee creation of print and digital house ads following the WBJ’s standards
- Must be proficient in InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop; HTML/CSS also preferred
- Strong visual storyteller who can drive non-narrative story forms
- Has experience editing photos and brainstorming ideas with photographers
- Strong communicator, able to articulate the design vision to editorial and business staffers alike
- Works cooperatively and collaboratively with all colleagues and professionally with sources and vendors
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of publication design experience
- The ideal candidate will have managerial experience, and a diverse background working with editors, designers, photographers and department heads
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience preferred
Washington Business Journal and its 40+ sister publications are part of American City Business Journals, the No. 1 source for local business news in the nation. We publish daily online, weekly in print and deliver multiple daily email products, as well as host monthly events attended by hundreds of business executives. Washington Business Journal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Company considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable city, state or federal law.
Email resume, cover letter and a link to design samples to Creative Director Laurie Lawrence at [email protected] Only applications with design samples will be considered (please do not send work samples as PDFs or attachments). No phone calls please.