The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is looking for a highly motivated Assistant Managing Editor of Digital Design who can handle the fast-pace rigors of a digital newsroom.
- Create a consistent, engaging and effortless user experience across all Post-Gazette digital platforms.
- Design, build, edit and debug interactive stories, maps and charts.
- Manage staff of developers/designers to meet interactive-story needs of editorial department.
- Develop story budgets, workflow and timeline for all projects.
- Maintain style guidelines, including fonts, color schemes, templates, design elements and design principles.
- Create artwork optimized for social media to promote interactive content
- Work with editors and reporters across departments, including art and photo, to develop visual storytelling ideas.
- Stay on top of design trends and new coding techniques.
- PHP and Wordpress development experience is a bonus.
- Candidate should be proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop and Illustrator.
- A strong understanding of typography, use of photography and layout is essential.
- Experience with informational graphics and an understanding of UX/UI fundamentals are vital.
- Must be deadline-oriented, flexible and able to multi-task with a strong interest in problem solving and storytelling.
- The candidate should be a good communicator, ready to collaborate with our team of designers, developers, reporters, photographers and editors.
- Interest in media innovation, creativity and emerging technology.
- Video editing skills are a bonus.
Interested candidates should send resumes and work samples to Pittsburgh Post-Gazette deputy managing editor Jim Iovino at [email protected].