The Arts Editor position is a 40-hour per week, non-exempt position reporting to the Real Change Editor. This position ensures continuous high-quality graphics, layout and original art for the weekly print newspaper and manages the paper’s production schedule. The position also supports Real Change development and communication functions generated by other departments.
Real Change Homeless Empowerment Project was founded in 1994 to offer immediate employment options for poor and homeless adults and challenge the structures that create poverty. Real Change serves our vendors and unsheltered folks through three integrated approaches:
Vendor Program: We meet vendors where they are, providing immediate income and job training. Additional opportunities include advanced sales trainings, leadership positions, resource navigation and paid work with our Homeless Speakers Bureau and editorial department.
Real Change News: As North America’s leading street paper, we provide work for more than 500 people who choose to sell our newspaper. We regularly win awards for journalistic excellence. Our content focuses on economic, social and racial justice and human interest and investigative stories.
Real Change Advocacy: Real Change leverages relationships between vendors and readers to increase opportunities for homeless and low-income people to positively impact their lives.
Real Change is currently a majority white organization, with an all-white leadership team. Poverty and homelessness disproportionately affects people of color, which is reflected in our Vendor population. We are actively working on equity and inclusion through policy review, caucusing, and our strategic plan workgroups. It is a key area of growth and an identified priority moving forward. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, immigration status, gender, sexual orientation socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical ability, political affiliation, religion and any other non-merit factor. We equally value and strive to support all employees and job candidates.
Working under COVID:
This position is required to be partially in office, this schedule will be established upon hire. Real Change takes COVID very seriously; we require masks, work schedules are staggered to limit the number of people in the office, we utilize air purifiers, have a daily sanitation routine, use plexiglass around high traffic areas, and monitor staff for any Covid symptoms. The job description represents current work duties, and may shift some during Covid so that we can effectively meet our mission and serve our Vendor population.
1. Editorial 85%
- Work with the editor, reporters and volunteer artists on graphics for weekly newspaper
- Illustrate or plan cover art weekly
- Photograph news at events or coordinate volunteer/paid photographers
- Create infographics for one article weekly
- Prep images for website upload
- Coordinate volunteer artists (cartoonists, illustrators and photographers)
- Select and edit art
- Obtain one page of arts content weekly
- Manage production cycle
- Support staff to ensure completion of the paper, perform production and design tasks
- Send proofs of paper to the editor, reporters and volunteer copy editors
- Place weekly order with the print company and coordinate pre- and post-press
- Assist in occasional ad design and ensure all ads meet specifications
- Archive print copies of the paper
2. Development / Communications 10%
- Create graphics for development and communications materials
- Promote Real Change news content on social media
- Lay out and illustrate annual financial report
- Create fundraising newspaper ads and fliers (3 times a year)
- Make, or coordinate volunteers to make, event materials: pledge cards, signage, nametags, slides for event screens and programs and centerpiece design if needed
3. Interdepartmental and Other Activities (5%)
- Respond to requests for art from other departments
- Maintain organizational design materials and photo database for interdepartmental use
- Participate in regular department, all-staff and other meetings
- Participate in one Real Change Strategic Planning workgroup
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum three years’ experience with design layout and journalistic style guides
- Proficiency with Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop, especially color correction
- Demonstratable history creating art and design
- Proven experience managing multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Strong commitment to Real Change antipoverty and antiracist mission
Compensation: Salary range is $46,000 - $48,000. Benefit package includes Health and Dental coverage, generous PTO - 3 weeks’ vacation, 2 weeks’ sick, 10 holidays, 403B Retirement Fund with a 4% Real Change contribution, flexible work schedule and professional development funds.
Accessibility: Real Change office is not explicitly scent-free, uses fluorescent lights, and welcomes pets. There are accessible bathrooms on both floors. Our office on the second floor is accessible via an elevator and three are two steps up to access the Advocacy area in our office on the first floor.
To apply, please email us two arts samples and two journalistic samples; your resume and a short cover letter to [email protected] with “Arts Editor” and your last name in the subject line. We will be evaluating candidates based on the minimum qualifications- for a successful application, we encourage you to highlight your direct or related experience & ability to meet these criteria.