The American Prospect, the magazine of politics and policy based in Washington, D.C., is seeking a dynamic individual to join our team full time, leading our visual presentation across all aspects of print, digital and social publishing.
This position includes membership in the Washington-Baltimore News Guild (CWA-TNG).
The salary is $70,000 plus benefits.
The American Prospect believes that historically, most corporate hiring practices have disproportionately hurt marginalized people — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people. TAP is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse working environment, and to presenting the broadest range of voices in our content. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other underrepresented communities.
Here’s what we are expecting:
- Fluency in understanding and interpreting complex political, legislative and social policy content
- Strong understanding of print, digital and social platforms
- Exceptional design skills in both print and digital, including layout, typography, video, motion and pattern
- Solid foundation in informational graphics and data visualization
- Strong photo editing skills, and the ability to match freelance and agency photography with stories for print and digital presentation
- Expertise in the Adobe Creative Cloud software (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
Here’s what you will be doing:
- Cultivating a diverse array of freelance artists, working with them to conceptualize illustrations for publication
- Working with editors to plan content, maintaining high standards for design while delivering projects on deadline
- Producing illustrative art on the fly for breaking social and digital presentations
- And. More.
Please submit your letter, resume, portfolio link and design samples by Sunday, Feb. 9, 2020.