Lacava is a past president of SND (2001), as well as a Lifetime Achievement Award winner (2010). She has been a design consultant for more than 25 years and has won more than 100 awards from the Society in her career, including multiple World’s Best-Designed Newspaper honors.
SND.org’s Chloe Meister chatted with Lacava about her Instagram style, who gives her inspiration and what skills designers can attain from using Instagram. Lacava will lead a hands-on session to help SND Charlotte attendees improve their Instagram technique and produce better images.
HOW DID YOU DECIDE TO FOCUS YOUR INSTAGRAM POSTS ON BUILDINGS AND SHADES OF BLUE? Once I decided to focus my Instagram account on architectural details, I needed at least one more distinctive feature to make my account stand out from other similar galleries. I have always loved the color blue in all of its variations, and I knew that I would never tire of it. Besides the most likely background to any architectural structure is the blue sky, therefore the possibilities are endless.
WHAT ARE YOUR GO-TO APPLICATIONS FOR EDITING PHOTOS? In the past I experimented with various photo editing applications, but now I almost exclusively use PS Express.
WHAT OTHER INSTAGRAMMERS DO YOU FOLLOW FOR INSPIRATION? Among my top favorites are:
- • Sebastian Weiss, photographer and columnist for Architectural Digest, from Germany
- • Nicanor Garcia, architect and photographer, from Barcelona
- • Dirk Bakker, photographer and social media influencer, from Amsterdam
WHAT’S AN EFFECTIVE WAY FOR DESIGNERS TO USE INSTAGRAM IN CREATING A BRAND FOR THEMSELVES? The most effective way to create a brand is to develop a uniquely distinctive style. If your photography and gallery is instantly recognizable as yours, before your name is revealed, then you’re on your way to creating a strong brand.
HOW DOES PHOTOGRAPHY AND INSTAGRAM INFLUENCE YOUR WORK AS A DESIGNER? It’s a two-way street. I work a lot with grids, therefore I search for grids and patterns in my photography. On the other hand, some of the photography principles I learned from Instagram proved very useful with the design of mobile media projects. Overall, it has changed the way I see the world around me. I feel I have developed a sharper, more HD vision.
About SND Charlotte
• Don’t miss your chance to UNITE & REBEL, register today: Register
• Book your hotel room (before they run out!): Use the SND discount link
• Check out the lineup of speakers we’ve announced for the workshop. What a team!
• Don’t miss the Think Before You Make pre-conference day at the U.S. National Whitewater Center