The design of Politiken is big and bold. The overall colors are red, black and white. These are the main tools at hand when the 12 page designers — four are trainees — approach the broadsheet canvas of Politiken’s main sections. And the tabloid canvas of the special sections. The result will be pages that celebrate simplicity, cleanliness and kicking communication. To quote Charlie Chaplin: “Simplicity is not a simple thing”. But if your staff strives after simplicity it often ends up in sophisticated results. More after the jump
This is the fifth in this week’s features with the visual leaders at SND33’s World’s Best Designed publications, five newspapers and a website, as part of SND’s Year-Long Conversation.
• Creativity and teamwork at The National Post, with managing editor Gayle Grin.
• Go behind the scenes at The Grid, with creative director Vanessa Wyse.
• Read an interview with Peter Breul, art director of Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung.
• Read an interview with BostonGlobe.com’s Miranda Mulligan, 2011 World’s Best Designed website. Read more here.
• Coming Friday: Behind the scenes at Mexico City’s Excelsior