The Society for News Design (SND) is an international organization for news media professionals and visual communicators – specifically those who create print/web/mobile publications and products. Our members art direct, design, edit, report, illustrate, make photos and video, visualize data – and write code.
Founded in 1979, it is a U.S.-registered non-profit organization with around 1,500 members worldwide. Among other activities, we host an annual Best of News Design competition open to newspapers and magazines from around the world, and a yearly conference (rotating through various cities) that brings in visual journalists from all over the world.
Adopted September 2005 – The mission of the Society for News Design is to enhance communication around the world through excellence in visual journalism. To that end, the Society will:
- Promote the highest ethical standards in all of our crafts
- Champion visual journalism as an integral discipline
- Educate journalists on a continuing basis
- Celebrate excellence in all aspects of journalism
- Encourage innovation throughout our industry
- Provide a forum for critical review and discussion of issues
- Value our unique and diverse international and multicultural character
SNDMakes, SNDExp, CampSND and other programs
Have a question about the various SND programs? You can always reach out with general inquiries to the Society’s Executive Director Tiffany Shackelford. If you are looking for details about the Society’s design-sprint series — SNDMakes — find details about the SNDMakes program, answers to frequently asked questions, sponsorship and scholarship information, and much more here at SND.org/SNDMakes
Our mailing address:
Society for News Design
1602 Belle View Blvd.
Alexandria, Va 22307