The Society for News Design (SND), a non-profit organization that advances visual journalism around the world, is looking for an executive director to lead and grow the organization into the next era as it celebrates its 40th anniversary. In this critical role, we’re looking for a leader with vision, empathy and drive. You would be expected to:
- Be a strategic and results-oriented leader, empowering and working alongside the Board of Directors, staff and volunteers
- Grow the Society by pursuing and building partnerships with foundations, funders and sponsors aligned with our mission
- Effectively manage the organization’s budget, staff and contracts
- Oversee execution of SND’s annual calendar of major programs. Among other activities, SND organizes an annual Best of News Design competition, hosts a yearly conference and continually supports our members with the connections, skills and inspiration they need to succeed.
- Strengthen, expand and diversify the news design community across industries and geographies
We’re looking for someone with proven management experience, an entrepreneurial drive, a passion for visual journalism and an eagerness to support professionals, educators and students. You should be an excellent communicator and capable of executing complex projects on deadline.
Additional experience with — or a desire to learn — operational systems is essential, including: data and financial analysis, relationship-management systems, QuickBooks and marketing tools like Mailchimp and social media.
This job can be performed remotely but proximity to New York and Washington, DC, where the majority of our members work, is preferable. Domestic and international travel will be required regardless of location. Proficiency in languages other than English is a plus.
Benefits include paid medical, vacation and contributions to a retirement plan. SND offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, ranging from $80,000 to $95,000. Total compensation may be higher with performance-based incentives.
Interested candidates should apply by September 13, 2019, by submitting a cover letter and resume to [email protected].
SND is committed to creating an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
The Society for News Design is an international organization that celebrates, champions and advances visual journalism and journalists. Our members art direct, design, edit, report, illustrate, create photos and video, visualize data, write code and more — across digital and print surfaces. Founded in 1979, SND is a non-profit organization based in the United States with nearly 1,500 members worldwide.