Each year, the SND Foundation awards a scholarship to a deserving student interested in and showing promise for pursuing a career in visual journalism. The cash award is $2,000.
This scholarship is open to sophomores, juniors and seniors at any accredited four-year school worldwide. The student must be a member in good standing of the Society for News Design. (Not an SND member? Join here.)
The scholarship application form is here.
The scholarship recognizes potential for excellence in print, interactive design and both.
• All applicants must be a journalism major or major in a field of related study with the intent of pursuing a career in visual journalism.
• All applicants will be assessed on four areas: talent, scholarship, service and character.
• Resume that includes a list of honors and activities.
• A letter of character reference from a professor or adviser that offers examples of your responsibility, integrity and judgment.
• A brief essay describing your accomplishments in the field of journalism and your financial need, if any.
• A brief essay answering the following questions:
Why do you want to be involved in the field of journalism? What do you feel is the biggest challenge facing visual journalism in the face of increasingly complex media consumption?
• A link to your online portfolio that contains at least eight and no more than 12 examples of page designs, photos, typography, illustrations, graphics, multimedia projects, and/or interaction design. Edit ruthlessly. This should only be your very best work.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: AUGUST 31, 2018