Mark your calendars! SND’s 40th anniversary workshop, creative conference and awards gala will be in New York City on March 22–24, 2018. We couldn’t be more excited to return to NYC — indisputably the world capital of media and news, which sits at the crossroads of technology, design and innovation. It will be The Society’s first Workshop in New York since 1982, when it was hosted by the legendary Lou Silverstein soon after SND’s founding in 1979.
The hub of SND/NYC will be the New School’s impressive University Center building in Greenwich Village near Union Square, which opened in 2014 and was designed by Roger Duffy. The Times’s architecture critic called the building “a celebration of the cosmopolitan city.” And, to take advantage of New York’s incredible range of neighborhoods, we are looking to host receptions, parties and ancillary events throughout the city.
We are beginning to craft sessions and recruit speakers. Some of the issues and questions at the forefront of organizers’ minds:
- How do we stay inspired, fuel our creativity and build the next generation of leaders?
- What is the future of print, both in the U.S. and globally?
How should we design for new interfaces like bots, voice, wearables and an expanding world of devices?
- Can trust, credibility and participation in media be improved through design?
- Of course, we’ll also dive into the latest innovations and best practices of data visualization, multimedia storytelling, alternative storyforms, distributed platforms, collaborative workflows, typography, cartography, illustration, video, content management systems … and every other facet of publishing today.
What comes next?
- Keep an eye on the Workshop web site: https://nyc.snd.org/
- Register early at discounted rates for members, professionals, students and educators.
- Suggest sessions and speakers — the organizing committee is looking for your input on how to make the best event possible.
- If you’re interested in volunteering, contact Workshop chair Tyson Evans.
- Sign up for the SND/NYC newsletter (below). We’ll begin to announce the schedule, parties and other events in the coming months.
We look forward to seeing you in New York City!
Thanks to the volunteer organizing committee: Tyson Evans (chair), Larry Buchanan, Juliette Cezzar, Laura Cochran, Josh Crutchmer, Liz Danzico, Andrei Kallaur, John Keefe, Sooyeon Kim, Kristin Lenz, Meghan Louttit, Jessia Ma, Greicy Mella, Sarah Sampsel, Kevin Wendt and Andrea Zagata (Let us know if you’d like to be involved!)