Next week, we are developing ideas and prototypes to grow community for news and information designers at SNDMakes-SF. This is our sixth SNDMakes event to take place at the Code for America headquarters as we lead up to the Society’s Annual Workshop.
By the close of our less than three day, rapid-prototyping design sprint each team will present an idea. If you’d like to tune in, we start final presentations at 11 a.m. Pacific time, Wednesday, Apr. 6. Yes, we know that the presentations are scheduled in the middle of a work day and so we will be live-streaming via Periscope plus publishing a recap that links to each team’s work. Feel free to follow along in real-time on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook… or just catch our event recap the following week.
Below, find the amazing group taking on our next community tools question — How might we grow the news and information design community? – of whom represent nearly 30 different organizations:
- Gurman Bhatia, tw/@gurmanbhatia, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Katie Briggs, tw/@sisternebraska, KPCC – Southern California Public Radio
- Laura Cochran, tw/@cochranism, Condé Nast
- Chris Coyier, tw/@chriscoyier, CodePen, CSS-Tricks and ShopTalk Show
- Daniella DeVera, tw/@danielladevera, Code for America
- Alex Duner, tw/@asduner, Northwestern U. Knight Lab
- Aidan Feay, tw/@aidanfeay, Vox Media
- Fan Fei, tw/@DatumFan, UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
- Simon Galperin, tw/@thensim0nsaid, CUNY Graduate School of Journalism
- Meagan Gamache, tw/@meaganrgamache, Slack Technologies
- Ted Han, tw/@knowtheory, DocumentCloud
- Jenny Hanlon, tw/@JHanlonPhoto, Self-employed
- Dan Hill, tw/@danhillreports, Self-employed
- Raven Keller, tw/@ravejk, New York Times
- Aviva Loeb, tw/@veevsvt, Gannett Design Studios / Arizona Republic
- Rebekah Monson, tw/@rsm, whereby.us
- Aliya Mood, LinkedIn, Gannett Co.
- Blanca Navarro, LinkedIn, Tusk Magazine, Avery
- Daniel Nguyen, tw/@dancow, Stanford U.
- John Osborn, tw/@bayreporta, Self-employed
- Tracie Powell, tw/@TMPowell, JSK (Knight) Fellowships at Stanford U.
- Sinduja Rangarajan, tw/@cynduja, Institute for Nonprofit News / Reveal News from Center for Investigative Reporting
- Justin Reese, tw/@reefdog, DocumentCloud
- Gerald Rich, tw/@gerald_arthur, Vocativ
- Melissa Riggs, LinkedIn, Ohio U. Graduate Fellowships
- Christopher Rim, tw/@christopherrim, Yale U. student
- Angelica Rogers, tw/@A_N_Rogers, New York Times
- Josef Siebert, @siebertjosef, Northwestern U. Knight Lab
- Robert Simmon, tw/@rsimmon, Planet Labs
- Julia Smith, tw/@julia68, Institute for Nonprofit News
- Jessica Soberman, tw/@sobermanj, Northwestern U. Knight Lab
- Jake Spurlock, tw/@whyisjake, Condé Nast / WIRED
- Dave Stanton, tw/@gotoplanb, Mobiquity, Inc.
- Kawandeep Virdee, tw/@whichlight, Embedly
- Allyson Wakeman, tw/@allysonkate, The Second City
- Ashley Wu, tw/@ashhwu, Northwestern U. Knight Lab
- Jenny Zhang, tw/@jennygzhang, Northwestern U. Knight Lab
- Nicole Zhu, tw/@nicolelzhu, Northwestern U. Knight Lab
It takes a village to program each ‘Makes’ event, and this one wouldn’t be possible without the generous support of our event partner, the inspiring Code for America team, and particularly we thank David Leonard, frontend developer and designer at Code for America.
And, also, would not be able to pull it all together without our amazing SF-event hosts: Alley Interactive, CodePen, InVision, John S. Knight Journalism Fellowships, Medill School and Northwestern U. Knight Lab, and finally Planet Labs.
We are grateful for the ongoing SNDMakes program support from The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and to our generous scholarship funders: Dow Jones News Fund, Scripps Howard Foundation, and Ethics and Excellence in Journalism Foundation. The SNDMakes community would not exist without their support.
We would love to have more involved as supporters of the program. There are still a few slots open for event hosts — including opportunities for food and beverage sponsorships — and we have packages available to to support both SNDMakes-SF + SND-SF. Please contact Miranda or reach out to us at sndmakes [at] gmail for more information.
- SNDMakes Co-Director: Ramla Mahmood, @ramoved, Designer at Vox Media. SND board member, Diversity.
- SNDMakes Co-Director: Miranda Mulligan, @jmm, Consultant and innovation events producer. News design veteran. SND board member, Technology.
- Communications manager: Lauren Katz, @Laur_Katz, Audience development at Vox Media. SND member.
- Technology manager: Adam Schweigert, @aschweig, Product at Institute for Nonprofit News. SND member.
- Design manager: Emily Yount, @emilyyount, Interaction designer at The Washington Post. SND member.
Find us out in the wild: #SNDMakes, Instagram, Facebook. For updates about future SNDMakes and other programs and events, follow SND on Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo or Facebook and consider supporting programs like this one by becoming a member.