It’s time to plan your trip to foggy San Francisco! Learn, eat and drink your way through the Society of News Design’s 38th Annual Workshop & Exhibition April 7-9. #SNDSF is in the Holiday Inn — Golden Gateway, conveniently located between major city attractions and districts. Here’s a sampling of some favorites.
- Lombard Street
- Golden Gate Bridge
- North Beach
- Golden Gate Park — Home to the de Young museum, California Academy of Science, Conservatory of Flowers, and buffalos.
- Coit Tower
- Cable Car Barn and PowerHouse
- City Hall — Currently celebrating it’s 100th year.
- Ghirardelli Square and Fisherman’s Wharf
- Ferry Building — Once a ferry terminal, it is now the food marketplace/mecca for locals and tourists.
San Francisco is a serious sports town home to teams in all the major sports franchises.
- SF Giants (MLB) — Baseball season starts up in April. And the Giants plays their first home games against the LA Dodgers at AT&T Park during #SNDSF from April 7th – 10th. Get your tickets here.
- Golden State Warriors (NBA) — The very hot W’s will play their second-to-the-last home season game on April 7th in Oakland against the San Antonio Spurs. Grab your tickets here.
Major art museums
- de Young Museum — Located in the heart of Golden Gate Park, the de Young Museum houses artwork from “recent” fine art movements.
- Legion of Honor — A massive collection of European and early American arts, antiquities and prints in Lincoln Park, which is on the westside of the city.
- Asian Art Museum — A blend of ancient and modern Asian artwork and antiquities located in Civic Center.
- Exploratorium — Foster your inner science nerd at the Exploratorium. The museum is filled with plenty of hands-on exhibits for scientists of all ages. Located along the piers by the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero.
- Unfortunately, the SF Museum of Modern Art is closed. But they have pop-up exhibits at various locations. It’s worth looking at their website for details.
- California Academy of Science — Located in the heart of Golden Gate Park, the Academy is our gorgeous natural history museum that would amaze any biologist, naturalist and archaeologist of any age.
- Contemporary Jewish Museum — The museum highlights the Jewish experience through the arts. It’s located two blocks away from the SF Chronicle in the SOMA district.
- Yerba Buena Center of Arts — A contemporary and abstract art space located across the street from the CJM. The center formerly hosted the Apple news conferences.
- Museum of Design and Craft — A small museum space focusing on graphic and product design in the Dogpatch district.
- Museum of African Diaspora
- Beat Museum
Recommended art galleries nearby the hotel:
- White Walls
- Gauntlet Gallery
- Spoke Art
- Hashimoto Contemporary
- Chandran Gallery
- John Pence Gallery
- San Francisco Art Institute — Diego Rivera Gallery has one of Diego Rivera’s frescoes*, Walter and McBean Gallery
* Diego Rivera painted three frescoes in San Francisco. The other two are located in the City Club of San Francisco, formerly the Stock Exchange Tower, and at City College of San Francisco’s Diego Rivera Theater. Please check with those buildings for tour hours.