As journalists, students, professors, and advisers from around the world are preparing for next week’s annual workshop, we’ve asked Ron Johnson to give a little last minute advice. Ron is the director of IU Student Media, where he advises the Indiana Daily Student (newspaper), idsnews.com, INside Magazine, and the Arbutus yearbook. He’s also the editor of SND’s annual competition book and no stranger to fall workshops. Here are his five tips for making the most out of SNDLOU.
1. Introduce yourself. Don’t be afraid of saying hi to the SND lifers. They’re great people, and the most dedicated journalists you’ll ever meet.
2. Reach beyond the keynotes. They’re inspiring, but the realistic advice is in the sessions.
3. Bring your clips and business cards, even if you aren’t hunting for a job or internship.
4. Relax. The socials and after-hours gatherings offer great networking
5. Give feedback. Volunteers run this conference and this organization. Your insight (and help) make it only better.