According Alexandro Medrano, at Excelsior, a designer or artist’s average day isn’t very different than it would be while working at other newspapers when it comes to executing pages. They gather content and chase down visual opportunities. The difference lies in the philosophy.
That philosophy, according to Medrano — “Those of us who do things differently are those who make a trend.” — dictates everything they do, whether part of the newspaper, TV or Internet. Read more about Excelsior after the jump.
This is the last of this week’s features with the visual leaders at SND33’s World’s Best Designed publications, five newspapers and a website, as part of SND’s Year-Long Conversation.
Read about the other World’s Best designed papers and website:
• Soren Nyland talks about how Politiken maintains its unique voice.
• Creativity and teamwork at The National Post, with managing editor Gayle Grin.
• Go behind the scenes at The Grid, with creative director Vanessa Wyse.
• Read an interview with Peter Breul, art director of Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung.
• Read an interview with BostonGlobe.com’s Miranda Mulligan, 2011 World’s Best Designed website. Read more here.