The Minneapolis Star Tribune is seeking a multitalented visual journalist to join our award-winning team. Candidates should thrive in a collaborative and creative environment. They should also excel as a hands-on art director, designer and production manager. Their sense of design and typography must be clean and efficient, while adhering to our overall visual philosophy and brand. They should have a love of storytelling as an art form. The ability to conceptualize creative solutions and articulate it to stakeholders is paramount. The person in this role should be a highly motivated and organized self starter who operates cooly and efficiently while juggling multiple projects.
• Art direct, design and help edit our new quarterly magazine, which debuts in April
• Serve as magazine production manager, ensuring milestones are met and multiple, fast-moving trains stay on time
• Collaborate with writers, photographers, graphic artists, illustrators and editors on all forms of storytelling
• Thrive at the epicenter of our best content, working with stakeholders to strike the right note
• Lead or assist with other design initiatives and projects as they arise
• A portfolio that demonstrates a sophisticated sense of typography, color and visual editing
• Proven experience as a project manager with superb organization and communication skills
• A reputation as a great teammate and collaborator, with a work ethic that is supreme
• A genuine passion for storytelling that includes great narratives, visuals and information design
• Fluency in the Adobe suite of software, and an overall comfort with ever-changing technology
It's a great time to join our team. We relocated to a state-of-the-art facility in 2015, have a local owner who is committed to quality journalism, and employ some of the best and brightest in our industry. We have back-to-back Top 10 finishes in the Society for News Design’s creative competition. We're constantly looking for people to help us tell great stories. The Twin Cities annually rank among the most livable places in the nation. We're home to thriving arts and cultural institutions, beautiful outdoors attractions, a rising culinary reputation and vibrant, diverse communities. Minnesota is also a hot bed for breweries, and we love a good beer. Five major professional sports franchises are represented, and a new billion-dollar stadium opened this year. We are among select national cities that attract premier sporting events. We played host to the Ryder Cup this year, with the Super Bowl (2018) and Final Four (2019) up next. Our market ranks first nationally in several areas, including newspaper readership, voter turnout, giving for the arts, volunteerism, and Fortune 500 companies per capita.
If interested, please email Derek Simmons, AME/Visuals, at Derek.Simmons@startribune.com