The Spokesman-Review is currently seeking to fill a full-time Designer/Copy Editor. This position will design pages, edit stories, write headlines, work in the online content management system and handle some duties on the company web site.
What you will do in this position:
- Design pages from scratch and with premade templates using NewsGate LayoutChamp. Ensure design of pages follow style guidelines and be appropriate to content.
- Edit stories for spelling, grammar, style and clarity.
- Ensure fairness in stories and check for consistency with previous stories as needed.
- Write headlines and ensure they are accurate, interesting and fair.
- Discuss coverage with photo department, section editors and reporters.
- Post news to website, adding relevant links and photos, and use social media to help our newsroom’s mission.
- Coordinate coverage with photo, copy desk and page designers.
Qualified applicants will be able to:
- Work in a manner which is collaborative, detail-oriented and result-driven.
- Meet tight deadlines and maintain accuracy.
- Apply high-level computer skills. Windows 7 is required; experience with NewsGate LayoutChamp is preferred although InDesign experience is acceptable; experience with Photoshop and Illustrator would be useful but is not required.
- Communicate effectively and efficiently.
- Applicants have a Bachelor’s Degree plus five years related experience.
The Spokesman-Review is the largest, most used and most trusted news and information provider in the Inland Northwest. We strive to produce the paper every day in a supportive team environment where we are dedicated to the community we serve and the well-being of our employees.
This is a full-time hourly position, which includes medical benefits, matching 401(k) and paid vacation and sick time. Please apply online at https://careers.cowlesco.com or you may apply in person between 8:30 am – 3:30 pm at The Spokesman-Review building at 999 West Riverside Ave. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Drug & background check required on those selected for hire. Position open until filled.