We are seeking to add a talented visual journalist to our Design team. This person will be expected to design pages across Features and News sections, including Variety, Travel, Taste, Science & Health and others, and may be called on to help with occasional news enterprise projects or special sections. This designer will work closely with design leaders, section editors and team leaders to produce dynamic and compelling pages. The candidate must excel at seeing new, accessible ways to present information and tell stories, and should embrace working in an environment in which rigorous editing for visuals and content is the norm. The ability to design with flair but also serious journalistic purpose is critical. This designer must be comfortable working with quick-turn news, as well as projects that require iterations over days or weeks.
We’re looking for someone who is:
- A proven visual communicator and collaborator.
- Able to demonstrate experience with mastering page design, typography and the layering of information to attract readers of various interest levels.
- An efficient manager of several project timelines at once without sacrificing small details or large ambitions.
- Able to work closely with picture editors and content editors to find a perfect marriage of visuals and words for our News, Sports and Business sections.
- Mostly fluent with Adobe’s InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator — all used regularly at the Star Tribune.
It’s a great time to be part of our team. We’ve recently moved to a state-of-the-art newsroom, and we took home nearly 70 awards and a pair of Top 10 finishes in the Society for News Design’s two most recent Best of News Design competitions. We’re growing and constantly looking for ways to tell great stories.
The Twin Cities annually rank among the most livable places in the nation (livability.com/top-10/health/top-10-healthiest-cities/2015/minnesota/minneapolis). We’re home to thriving arts and cultural institutions, beautiful outdoors attractions, a rising culinary reputation and vibrant, diverse communities. Minnesota is also an emerging hotbed for breweries. And we love a good microbrew. Four major professional sports franchises are represented here, and a fifth arrives in March with MLS expansion team Minnesota United FC. A new billion-dollar Vikings stadium debuted in 2016 and huge sporting events — Super Bowl LII (2018) and the Final Four (2019) — are on the way. Our market also ranks first nationally in several other areas, including newspaper readership, voter turnout, giving for the arts, volunteerism, and Fortune 500 companies per capita.
Questions? Please contact Josh Penrod (Presentation Director, Digital and Print) at firstname.lastname@example.org.