Digital First Media seeks a Design Director to lead the Boulder Design Hub. The Hub serves a diverse group of newspapers including the Denver Post, Boulder Daily Camera, Longmont Times-Call and the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
Successful candidates should have a deep understanding of layout, typography and design with a portfolio that showcases their talents. Candidates should have a demonstrated track record of leading teams and coaching and mentoring designers. An ability to juggle multiple projects and manage a large and diverse workload in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment is critical. You’ll be overseeing print design for a number of 24/7/365 news organizations that produce an array of features, news and sports sections, so strong organization and critical thinking skills are a must. The perfect candidate will lead a staff of 24 designers, so a few years of prior experience as a newsroom manager or design team leader is a must.
If this describes you, we’d love to hear from you.
- Manage day-to-day operations for the hub.
- Schedule 24 designers covering 5 dailies, 3 6-day papers and numerous weeklies and twice-weeklies.
- Direct staff in order to meet daily deadlines. Assign tasks and pages to designers and give final approval to pages.
- Monitor and appraise job performance, communicate expectations to the team and handle disciplinary issues.
- Responsible for establishing goals for the team and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Troubleshoot technical and software issues.
- Manage and foster numerous relationships over a dozen client sites. This includes working with remote editors, publishers and other managers. Also coordinate with non-editorial department heads including marketing and advertising.
- Must have expert-level skills in Photoshop and Illustrator and be able to train less experienced designers in these tools.
- Check work for accuracy, adherence to style guidelines and visual quality across an array of newspapers.
- Responsible for hiring and training new employees. You’re passionate about recruiting and developing talented designers.
This is a great opportunity to lead a diverse team of talented designers. The Boulder area is a great place to live and work, you can see the mountains from the newsroom’s windows, and you’re minutes away from amazing hiking and biking trails (and a short drive to world-class skiing).
We’re also a short drive to Denver with its thriving art, music and culinary scenes.
Please send your resume and a link to your portfolio (PDFs are also fine, email them in a zip file) to Vice President of News Prairie Mountain Publishing Kevin Kaufman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applicants with a portfolio will be considered.