Wednesday, April 19
Thursday, April 20
- 'Think Before You Make,' sponsored by Upstatement and CQ Roll Call: This pre-conference workshop is dedicated to team-building, design problem-solving and organizational communication. We’re ditching our laptops and heading outdoors for small-group conversations at the beautiful U.S. National Whitewater Center. Oh, and did we mention the ropes course? An additional $125 registration fee applies for this event. Transportation to USNWWC and a free lunch will be provided.
- Student Day, sponsored by American City Business Journals: This student-only workshop includes a handful of speakers, portfolio critiques and a free lunch. The day will start in the mid-morning at ACBJ headquarters, which is a few blocks from the Sheraton hotel.
- Opening Reception: The main workshop kicks off with a networking event at the U.S. National Whitewater Center at 6 p.m. Join us on Abbey Island for passed hors d'oeuvres and drinks. Transportation from the Sheraton hotel to the USNWWC will be provided.
Friday, April 21
- Main Workshop, Day 1: We start the day at 9 a.m. with sessions that go until 5:30 p.m. in the Symphony Ballroom at the Sheraton hotel. There will be four tracks of speakers, including a hands-on track that will allow you to roll up your sleeves and dig into the craft. Breakfast pastries and coffee will be provided.
- Keynotes & Lifetime Achievement Awards: Two keynote speakers and a lifetime achievement award highlight Thursday's program.
- Karaoke Fundraiser, sponsored by Maps4News: Join us after dinner for an SND Annual Workshop tradition at CJ's Jazz Club, located inside the Sheraton. We have rented out the entire space for this singing showdown, which benefits the SND Foundation that promises to be a good time for singers and non-singers alike. And thanks to our friends at Maps4News, the first drink is on the house!
- Main Workshop, Day 2: We start the day at 9 a.m. with sessions that go until 5:30 p.m. in the Symphony Ballroom at the Sheraton hotel. Like Thursday, there will be four tracks of speakers, including the hands-on track. Breakfast pastries and coffee will be provided.
- Keynotes & Lifetime Achievement Awards: Two keynote speakers, including Kevin Merida of The Undefeated, and a lifetime achievement award highlight Friday's program.
- Closing Reception: Join us after dinner at the NASCAR Hall of Fame and put your driving skills to the test as we put the finishing touches on this year's workshop. We will honor the World's Best-Designed winners and hand out other awards.
+ Speaker: Sanette Tanaka (Vox) on designing interfaces for voice-based products
+ Attention students: How to get a free registration for SND Charlotte workshop
+ Speaker: Nuri Ducassi (Toronto Star) on designing pages 1,500 miles away from her newsroom
More Conference News →
About the Workshop
- Registration: Cost for the workshop is $495 for professionals and $270 for students. Space is limited and the professional rate will increase on March 1, so we recommend booking early.
- Hotel: The host hotel for Unite + Rebel is the Sheraton Charlotte located in Uptown. Take advantage of our discounted room rate of $179, extended three nights before and after the event.
- Transportation: We recommend taking a cab (about $20-25) or an Uber ($12-19) from the airport to the workshop hotel. A rental car isn’t necessary, unless you are planning extra-curricular activities before or after the workshop. Overnight parking is available at the Sheraton for $20 per day.