The Society for News Design is looking to hire a part-time or full-time correspondent to aggressively cover issues at the intersection of design, journalism and technology. This is a new position, supported by a recent grant from the Knight Foundation, to amplify the role of visual design and design thinking in news media.
- Become a high-profile voice and advocate about news design. Report, write, solicit and commission articles, essays, Q&As, commentary, case studies, critique and any other material that is interesting and relevant to SND and the news design community around the world.
- Publish 3-5 original pieces each week, both your own and edited assignments from outside contributors. This post includes managing a budget for freelance work.
- Leverage social media and other platforms to attract and engage SND members and the industry community to the work you produce. Facilitate conversation between them and point them toward the most compelling work elsewhere.
Who we are looking for:
- Someone with experience researching, reporting, writing and editing. Show us samples of your work to gauge how you dig, synthesize, explain and provoke.
- Knowledgeable about major issues and trends in the industry — both print and digital — from legacy publishers to fresh startups, behemoth social platforms and digital trendsetters. Experience in the field, teaching, or consulting is a plus.
- A voracious reader and well-connected industry observer. Tell us what you like about Nieman Lab, Poynter or Digiday. What’s caught your attention recently from Design Observer, Source or FlowingData? What international sources do you follow? Who do you respect on Twitter? To what podcasts do you subscribe? Do you read and comment in languages other than English?
- Proficient and able to work autonomously with digital publishing systems, such as WordPress or Medium, and social tools such as Buffer and Mailchimp. Well-organized with project management skills.
- Experience or passion for telling stories beyond the written word: Videos, audio, moderating live events or organizing sessions at conferences.
Details and how to apply:
This is a contract, freelance position with a one-year term, which will have an opportunity to renew. The digital correspondent will report to the Executive Director of SND (based in Orlando) with oversight by the organization’s Executive Committee. This professional will work closely with SND’s Board of Directors and the large and generous corps of volunteer contributors who donate time and energy to SND.
This role is meant to be flexible and the exact parameters, including hours and salary, will be negotiated with the selected candidate. You can be based anywhere in the world because we expect that you will work remotely and virtually. Full command of the English language is required.
Per The Society’s Code of Ethics, we encourage all qualified persons, from any nationality, ethnicity, faith, gender, group, lifestyle or background, to apply.
Please send questions and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants should include a resume, a note explaining why they are well-suited to the role and links to previous work. Applications are due by Feb. 3, 2017.
The Society for News Design (SND) is an international non-profit organization for news media professionals and visual communicators —specifically those who create print, web or mobile publications and products. Our members art direct, design, edit, report, illustrate, make photos and video, visualize data — and write code. The Society has worked since it was founded, in 1979, to define and advance the state-of-the-art of visual journalism and build lasting connections among its practitioners.
(Photo by Thomas Hawk – creative commons license)