Medal winners from SND Digital judging in Indy
Last weekend, 15 judges from 14 organizations across the globe gathered at the Ball State University campus in downtown Indianapolis to evaluate work entered in the Society For News Design’s annual “Best of Digital Design” competition. The 2014 contest year brought in more than 900 entries, making it the largest body of work since the contest was established in 2002.
“Last year’s competition was marked by what judges called, ‘The Snowfall Effect.’ It was the year where digital journalists took the lead from The New York Times and broke free of the constraints set by rigid content management systems. This year, I’m particularly looking forward to seeing how the industry has pushed itself to rethink the story template, and how multimedia has been pushed along the way,” said competition co-director Ryan Sparrow.
In addition to the judging, a team from Vox Product was also on-site to teach student attendees how to research and develop a design language for a single-focus media site.
Take a look at what made medal-winning entries stand out from the crowd. This week, we will publish a database of winners and announce those who are nominated for World’s Best™ distinction: Winners of those top honors will be announced on April 11 at SND’s annual workshop.
- The New York Times Wins First Silver Medal of SND Digital
- Judges Award National Geographic Silver Medal
- ProPublica and The Lens Win First Gold Medal at SND Digital
- The Los Angeles Times Wins Silver Medal for ‘The Homicide Report’
- The New York Times Wins Silver Medal for ‘Houses in the Path of the Washington Mudslide’
- The New York Times Wins Silver Medal For ‘Is That a Luge in Times Square?’
- Judges Award The New York Times Silver Medal for World Cup piece
- NPR Wins Silver Medal for ‘Election Party!’
- Judges Award Silver Medal to The Washington Post in Special Events category
- Berliner Morgenpost Wins SND Digital Silver Medal
- Upstatement’s redesign of Harvard Law Review Wins SND Digital Gold Medal
- NPR Visuals Earns Silver Medal In Organization Portfolio Category
- New York Times Wins Gold Medal In Use of Multimedia Category
- The Washington Post Wins Silver for ‘Bad News Beards’ Use Of Multimedia
- ‘Mindsuckers’ Wins Silver For National Geographic
- Judges Award The Washington Post Gold Medal for ‘The N-Word’ In Use Of Multimedia
- O Globo Wins Use of Multimedia Category Silver Medal
- Washington Post Wins Silver Medal In Daily Breaking News
- Silver Medal awarded to The New York Times For Information Graphic
- ‘Treatment Tracker’ wins silver medal for ProPublica
- Los Angeles Times Wins Silver Medal in Features, Single Subject
- ‘Chasing Bayla’ Wins Silver Medal For The Boston Globe
- Judges Award Silver Medal To ‘Songs We Love’ Feature By NPR
- NPR Is Awarded Gold Medal For ‘Demolished’ Feature
- Judges Award Amanda Cox of the New York Times a Silver Medal for Individual Portfolio
- Danny Debelius of NPR wins Gold in Individual Portfolio