SND STL optional Friday night activities: Happy Hour at Flamingo Bowl & SND Foundation Trivia Night
Friday night is pretty wide open for SND STL attendees to do whatever they want — check out the Arch and CityGarden, explore some of the other areas of St. Louis, hit up the casino, explore Washington Ave. more, etc. If folks are looking for some events near the hotel we’ve set up two that will offer some valuable, fun and fruitful networking opportunities:
Flamingo Bowl Happy Hour
- When: 6-8 p.m., Friday, Sept. 30
- Who & How: Any SND STL attendees, just show your badge to get the special, no registration required
- Where: 1117 Washington Ave. (Two blocks west from the Renaissance Grand Concourse building)
- What: Flamingo Bowl will be hosting a special happy hour for SND STL members. It’s a retro-bowling lounge with excellent food, a hipster vibe, more than a half dozen bowling lanes and a rockin’ jukebox.
For a $10 cover with your SND STL badge includes:
- A feast of St. Louis-style Pizzas (various toppings), Toasted Ravioli (another unique St. Louis food), chicken tenders and salad
- Each attendee will receive free shoe rental if they choose to bowl
- Each attendee will also enjoy Happy Hour drink specials extended until 8pm.
SND Foundation Trivia Night Fundraiser
- When: 8-10 p.m., Friday, Sept. 30
- Who & How: Limited to the first 75 registrations, register here through EventBrite (or at the door if it doesn’t sell out by then)
- Where: Over / Under Bar & Grill, 911 Washington Ave.
- What: The Society for News Design Foundation’s Trivia Night fundraiser at SND St. Louis will offer a local and fun way to interact with your design brothers and sisters while showing off your ninja-like knowledge.
This St. Louis-style bar trivia contest will run from 8-10 p.m. we’ll have about half a dozen rounds of trivia with topics including:
- SND History
- Journalism in TV and the movies
- St. Louis
- And much more!
There will also be mini-contests, give-aways and games in between rounds, as well as plenty of booze to keep your mind thoroughly lubricated. Two drink tickets are included with your $30 registration, which goes to a good cause helping fund scholarships and research from the SND Foundation.
SND STL drink specials for Friday night include:
- $10 buckets (5 bottles of Miller Lite or Coors Light)
- $5 Smirnoff Cherry or Grape Bombs
- $4.50 premium well drinks
- After 10 p.m. the bar will have a band playing on their outdoor patio and SND STL’s drink specials will continue throughout the night.
The Society for News Design Foundation, created in 1992, is the nonprofit education and research effort of SND. In 2008, SND received a Challenge Grant from the Challenge Fund for Journalism and opened an endowment campaign for its two scholarship programs. With support from donations and matching grants, the Foundation provides training grants for out-of-work visual journalists, university-level scholarships, travel grants for students to the Annual Workshop & Exhibition, grants to the student designers of the year, and outreach to minority journalists and journalism students at universities with large minority enrollments. The Foundation also provides research grants for projects on the future of journalism developed in partnership with other journalism organizations. Supporters contribute to the Foundation through direct donations, sponsorship of Foundation Fund-raising events, and by donating or purchasing items and services at the Silent Auction held in conjunction with the Annual Workshop & Exhibition. Contributions to the SND Foundation are generally tax deductible (in the United States) as charitable donations.