Free SND STL Student Workshop focuses on “The 21st Century Visual Journalist: What You Need to Succeed”
We’re excited to offer a full day of free student training before the conference on Thursday, Sept. 29, thanks largely to the help of Jennifer George-Palilonis and our awesome team of panelists. There’s no fee for the workshop and no registration needed, just come join the party!
Student Workshop Schedule:
- 9 a.m.-11:30 a.m. – Panel “The 21st Century Visual Journalist: What You Need to Succeed”
- 11:30-11:45 a.m. – BREAK
- 11:45 a.m.-: 12:45 p.m. – Q&A session with panelists & lunch
- 1 p.m.-4 p.m. – Portfolio critiques (Professionals — If you’d like to help out with the student portfolio critiques, please contact Jenn at jageorge2 [at] bsu.edu.)
The 21st Century Visual Journalist: What You Need to Succeed
Panelists will discuss the future of visual journalism and give students advice regarding the concepts, software and storytelling skills they need to learn to succeed. Each panelist will give a 20-minute presentation on a topic related to their personal experiences and individual expertise. Then students will have a chance to engage in a Q&A session with panelists. We might also want to mention that lunch will be provided.
- Tyson Evans, New York Times
- Ryan Mark, Chicago Tribune
- Miranda Mulligan, Boston Globe
- Mike Swartz, Upstatement
- Yuri Victor, San Diego Union-Tribune
- Jennifer George-Palilonis, Ball State University
About Jennifer George-Palilonis
Jennifer George-Palilonis is the Society for News Design education director and the George and Frances Ball Distinguished Professor of Multimedia Journalism at Ball State University. There, she is the journalism graphics sequence coordinator and teaches upper-level courses in multimedia storytelling, information graphics reporting, and interactive media design.
She is also a media design consultant and has worked on the redesigns of 30 print and online publications, including The Journal-Gazette, Portland Press-Herald, and Crain’s Chicago Business. Prior to joining the faculty at Ball State in 2001, George-Palilonis was the deputy news design editor at the Chicago Sun-Times and a news designer and business art director at the Detroit Free Press.
Her second book The Multimedia Journalist is forthcoming in early 2012 from Oxford University Press. Her first book, A Practical Guide to Graphics Reporting (Focal Press), was published in 2006. Her research on visual communications, multimedia teaching and learning tools, research-informed design, and information graphics in the multimedia age is regularly published in leading scholarly journals. She has spoken at more than 50 professional and academic conferences.
- Want to know more about Country Grammar? Learn more about Nelly’s home!
- Who else is presenting at SND STL? Check out some of our other announcements for SND STL!
- Need more information about traveling to St. Louis? Dig through our resources to get the best deal!