Bonita Burton & The Intern’s from SND Orlando competition return to discuss “Where the Jobs Are” at SND STL
Our next panel will offer a real-world perspective for both students and professionals on where our future careers are headed with a special group of SND alumni, the original class from SND Orlando’s “The Intern” competition! If you’d like to refresh your memory of the original ‘Intern’ class, check out the epic video of their experience. The session they’ll take part in will discuss their career paths over the past 5 years and what they foresee in the future for designers:
Where the Jobs Are
The future’s bright for innovative news designers, you just have to be creative about reinventing your career path. Find out how from a panel of finalists from SND’s original “The Intern” competition. Five years ago they burst onto the scene as fresh-faced students hungry for their first internship. Today, they’re blazing trails at the country’s most influential media companies, running their own businesses and defining the jobs for the next generation.
- Bill Couch, software engineer at Twitter
- Stephanie Davis, creative director at DiguDesign
- Carrie Gee, art director at Edible Vineyard
- Tory Hargro, digital project manager at USA Today
- Joey Kirk, user experience lead at Tribune
- Billy Kulpa, design and communications specialist at Rosecrance
- Nina Mehta, master’s degree in human computer interactive design
- Tiffany Schwarz, designer at Baseball America Magazine
Bonita Burton is known for unlocking the creative potential in visualjournalists in newsrooms and classrooms around the country. She came to Orlandoin 2004 during the region’s worst hurricane season on record and has been aforce for change ever since.
As Visuals Editor, she directs the photojournalism, graphics, design and copyediting operations for print and digital products. In 2008 she launched one ofthe industry’s most anticipated redesigns and was named to Presstime’s “20 Underage 40” list of the nation’s top young newsroom leaders.
Before Orlando, Bonita oversaw business design at the San Jose Mercury News andtaught design and picture editing at San Jose State University. She has alsoheld design, reporting and editing roles at the Orange County Register, the LosAngeles Daily News and the Salt Lake Tribune.
Bonita is a frequent speaker at journalism events and has been a visitingfaculty member at the Poynter Institute, American Press Institute and severaluniversities. She served for nine years in various roles on the SND board andbrought the annual workshop to Orlando in 2006. There she debuted a nationwidecompetition for students that awarded internships at major newspapers.
Bonita and her staff have been consistently recognized with the field’s tophonors. However, her proudest creations are her five-year-old daughter and three-year-old son.
- Want to know more about the land of the St. Lunatics? Peep this link, yo!
- Who else is speaking at SND STL? Check out some of our other announcements for SND STL!
- Need more information about traveling to the Lou? Dig through our resources to get the best deal!