Welcome to the new site!
Dear friends and colleagues,
Happy New Year! Welcome to the new snd.org. Let us know what you think by leaving a comment below or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
During this transitional time in our industry, we must focus on designing our future. Our essential roles as information architects and shepherds of user experience have never been more important.
The site will now be a dynamic representation of our evolving organization. It will be inclusive. It will be multi-platform. It will be aggressively forward-looking. Unique, regularly-updated content will be at the core of what we do.
We hope to:
- Inspire with creative work from innovators around the world
- Inform with tips, tricks, best practices and industry updates
- Provoke as we challenge conventional thinking by offering fresh points of view
What can you expect on the new snd.org?
- Fresher content:You’ll notice much of the site has been refreshed and the Update blog has been merged with our homepage.
- Expert opinion:We’ll rely on a network of generous experts from all of our related disciplines to populate this space. Look for an announcement on this very soon.
- Regular regional updates: SND’s regional directors will contribute regular reports from all corners of the world.
- New voices: We’ll have regular featured columnists. Industry giants, like (our first) Dan Zedek, will highlight notable work and comment on industry trends.
- More soon: And, keep checking back during the coming weeks, we will be launching more features and functionality, including translated content, searchable databases and free tools.
Already, a team of talented individuals have worked through the holidays (and in addition to their day jobs) to get the site launched. Among them:
Design & Code: Tyson Evans has shown amazing dedication in leading a team of generous hackers and designers, including: Thad Allender, Wesley Lindamood and David Wright, Jr.
By moving to a new platform, based on open-source software and the latest Web standards, snd.org will have a solid foundation for growth and innovation. We’ll save the Society thousands of dollars each year as we migrate away from legacy and proprietary systems and make it easier for a wider array of volunteers to contribute and evolve the site.
Content: Jonathon Berlin has been an enthusiastic superhero in soliciting, coordinating and editing contributions from a variety of kind, busy folks: Roger Black, Scott Goldman, Adrian Holovaty, Dan Zedek and SND’s regional and program directors. And, numerous others have agreed to contribute in the near future.
All-around support: The always-dedicated Steve Dorsey and Stephen Komives have contributed in a variety of important ways to make the quick launch possible. Chris Courtney, Jess Elder, Greg Linch, Matt Mansfield, Denise Reagan, Kaitlin Yarnall and others have also been generous with their time and ideas.
Finally, as this is a work-in-progress, please bear with us while we continue to fix bugs, add new features and transition old parts of the site (you’ll notice the jobs, competitions and member databases haven’t been upgraded yet).
It has been more than four years since SND’s last major Web redesign. The previous effort had a budget of $25,000 and was outsourced. This time our budget was $0 and we have a core of dedicated volunteers to keep it moving forward with constant iteration and an emphasis on agile development.
Our greatest hope is the site will become a valuable destination for members – and the industry. Design thinking should be a driver – not a casualty – of the evolution of the publication industry.
Wishing you all a productive and creative 2010.